Saturday 2 July 2011

The Singular Value Decomposition Song

For my invited talk, Biplot Videos, at the 9th Tartu Conference on Multivariate Statistics (organized jointly with 20th International Workshop on Matrices and Statistics) at the end of June 2011, I included a video of a song that I wrote. This song, called "It had to be U", is about the result in matrix algebra that is the most useful in my research: the singular value decomposition, or SVD. The song was recorded the week before by the inimitable Gurdeep Stephens, accompanied by Lisa Olive, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The recording studio in Canada sent me the mp3 file, I added the visuals and some narration, and the result is a compact explanation of this mathematical result -- in song!



You will find other songs by Gurdeep further down in my blog, especially The Millennium Song, which she sings in various languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment